Never heard of it? No, neither had I until a week ago when I was reading a fellow blogger’s site, Mud and Nettles, and discovered that she had nominated me to take part. I use the phrase “take part” as opposed to “Nominated to receive” because once I understood what it was all about I realised it was in essence a blog equivalent of a chain letter. However, I do think it has its benefits and knowing that Claire was fully aware of what it was but appreciated the positive potential of it and wasn’t just nominating people to avoid breaking some sort of chain, I was pleased that she had listed me as one of those people that she would be interested to read the responses of.
Bottom line… It is a way for bloggers to promote their sites. You write some stuff of interest about you, answer the questions from the person who nominated you and then set a list of new questions and nominate some other people to answer those. There seem to be various versions of the “rules” and as Claire has done, I too will choose to treat them as guidelines and pick and choose. I will :-
Explain the Award and display the image.
Thank the person who nominated me. Thank you Clair 🙂
Answer the 11 questions asked of me.
List 11 random facts about me.
Set 11 new questions and nominate other bloggers.
First off, here are the 11 questions Claire asked me. As an aside did you know that non round numbers tend to attract readers more than round ones. It has been shown that Internet lists are more successful if they are, for example, “The 17 things you need to know about men” rather than, “The 10 things you need to know about men”. I suggest this is because 10 sounds too neat, too perfect, and as such we are less likely to identify with it because we know that life is rarely so efficient and tidy.
1. Where is your dream holiday destination?
A small island where the sea is warm and there is nothing that will kill me. There should be people but only the barest minimum in order to make my experience enjoyable. The accommodation is on the beach, air conditioned and not overly luxurious, except there is fresh Egyptian cotton sheets every day and a small fridge that never runs out of beer. Within walking distance, but out of ear shot or sight, there are restaurants and bars but no tourists. Bordering the beach there are woods filled with exciting geocaches and, again, nothing that will kill me. I don’t know where this place is, do you?
2. What is your favourite indulgence?
Red wine, Cheesecake and Red Dwarf.
3. What scares you?
Losing what little sight I have left. The thought of seeing nothing at all terrifies me.
4. Why did you start blogging?
I love to write and I want to be remembered by someone for something, if only by my future grandkids for silly tales of my geocaching adventures.
5. Who was your childhood hero?
Tough one this… I certainly looked up to my dad a lot, still do. But I think I most wanted to be David Lightman in the film War Games, I was such a computer nerd and still am, but just cooler with it now.
6. Eat to live or live to eat?
Somewhere in between although leaning toward live to eat. It is probably a good job that I am not rich otherwise I would probably be very fat and unhealthy as I would eat all sorts of expensive things that were bad for me.
7. What would you like to achieve this year?
Write and publish my first novel. It is what I have always wanted to do since I was very young, but this year I am actually making a concerted effort to achieve it. It will, hopefully, be funny and exciting and involve a certain amount of geocaching. Alternatively it will be a load of old tosh but at least I will have tried. I warble on about writing my book and life in general on my other blog, WaffleStream
8. What is your favourite film?
So….hard….to….pick…one…brain….is….overloading….BOOM! I will list a few just to show that I can disregard the rules. War Games, Singing in the Rain, You’ve Got Mail, Shawshank Redemption, Paint Your Wagon.
9. If you were a super hero who would you be?
It all sounds like a lot of hard work to be honest. After a hard days saving the world you get to go home and be miserable and lonely. If I had to pick I think it would be Batman because he has some of the coolest tech.
10. What is your favourite City?
Hmmm, not really a city person these days. I much prefer the peace and quiet of the countryside. Having said that London is pretty kickass as cities go. I haven’t actually been to that many cities. How weird is that? Trying to count in my head the number of cities I have spent more than a few hours in and I can only get to about 10, and only a few of them are outside the UK.
11. Mud lover or mud hater?
lol, well I can’t say I love it, but I definitely don’t hate it. What I do love is the places where the mud is. So many of the beautiful places that we visit, usually geocaching, are accompanied by mud and that makes it great but I aint gonna start dimming the lights and smearing it all over my body or anything. Ummm…stop talking now!
Next up we have 11 Random facts about me.
1. I could live happily on Red Wine, crispy chicken skin, crackling and cheesecake… but not for very long.
2. I have 2 sons aged 10 and 20.
3. I met Roald Dahl when I was 10 and he signed my copy of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.
4. I used to play the Cello, only grade 3 though but gave it up because I couldn’t be arsed to carry it on the 90 minute walk/bus/train/walk journey to school.
5. My mum’s second husband’s daughter from his first marriage is a cousin of Matt Lucas.
6. I have a knack of guessing the right time.
7. I am writing a novel.
8. I once travelled to Texas (from London) to see a woman I met on the internet.
9. I have been with the wonderful Sharlene for 14 years now. She is not the woman I travelled to Texas to meet, although I did also meet her on the Internet.
10. The sound of a plastic sauce bottle being squeezed to eject sauce makes me shiver and cross myself.
11. I am blind.
For my nominations I will ask the following people. Please note if you are one of these people then do not feel any pressure to take part, do it if you want to, ignore it if you don’t. My already high opinion of you and your blog will not change. 🙂
Krista – The muminator
Bill – Travels with the Halls
Eleanor – Sun and cake
Meagan – Where’s Your Dog
Rebekah – Blind Girl in the Big City
Here are your questions.
1. What did you do last week that you regret?
2. What is your idea of a perfect evening out?
3. What movie do you return to time and time again?
4. What 3 things can you not live without?
5. Aside from excellent blog entries what else can you create?
6. Name a hidden useless talent that you possess?
7. Sport or Art?
8. What was the last book you read?
9. Name something silly you do when you know no one is watching.
10. When was the last time you told someone you loved them?
11. If an alien landed on your lawn tomorrow, what would you ask them?